The "Protect Life Rule" issued last week by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services continued to have people talking over the weekend, with both sides of the debate taking it to social media.
Following through on a promise made to the American people, the Trump administration posted a final rule Friday that says no Title X funding can go to family planning centers that perform or refer for abortions. (Read final rule released by HHS)
"Family planning funding goes toward wonderful women, but we know abortion is not health care and abortion is not family planning, so we're applauding this," says Alison Centofante of Live Action. "It's a small step in the right direction. It does not, unfortunately, fully defund Planned Parenthood, but it will defund it of about $60 million of taxpayer funds every year."
Calling it an "unethical gag rule," Planned Parenthood Action tweeted Friday that the Trump-Pence administration just made it "illegal for Title X health care providers to refer patients for abortion."
Susan B. Anthony List responded to that tweet, saying that's not true and adding that "not one dime of funding for family planning is cut" – that it "simply stops Title X providers (like you) who kill unborn children from continuing to receive Title X tax funding."
That, says Live Action's Centofante, is a good thing.
"It does not reduce family planning funding, it doesn't prevent anyone from obtaining Title X services, and it doesn't prohibit Title X providers from providing neutral, non-directed counseling about abortion," she explains. "It just makes clear that they cannot refer for abortion and that they are no longer co-locating with abortion clinics."
The new rule takes effect 60 days after its publication in the Federal Register.