A conservative national grassroots organization was kicked out of President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate after liberals complained.
ACT for America has one gala dinner a year to raise money for its mission to ensure the safety and security of Americans against foreign and domestic threats – including Islamic terrorism.
ACT for American Chairman Brigitte Gabriel pointed out that this year's event was reserved earlier in the year at Trump's Florida estate Mar-a-Lago.
“We signed a contract with Mar-a-Lago back in April that we were going to have this dinner gala,” Gabriel stressed. “We had elected officials invited to be honored, [and] we had Michelle Malkin as the keynote speaker.”
The nationally syndicated columnist, Malkin, blasted activist groups on the left for shutting down and silencing conservatives.
“I planned to talk to ACT for America's gala attendees about the ongoing national security threat that jihad-coddling Muslim grievance groups and other identity politics agitators in the ‘Open Borders, Inc.’ infrastructure pose to our country's very existence,” Malkin wrote in her op-ed published on ONN. “But thanks to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Council on American Islamic Relations, Miami Herald, copycat journalists and the Trump Organization, the event was banned from Mar-a-Lago.”
She said it isn’t hard these days for liberals to keep those with opposing views from meeting and speaking.
“All it took was a noisy little echo chamber of lazy media lemmings in search of weekend clickbait,” Malkin continued. “On Saturday morning, the Miami Herald published an inflammatory attack masquerading as ‘breaking news’ with the headline: ‘Anti-Muslim extremist group says it will host $1,500-a-plate gala at Trump's Mar-a-Lago.’"
Gabriel echoed Malkin’s concern, recounting what happened once the usual suspects on the left got wind of the event.
“The Southern Poverty Law Center put an article out on Friday at midnight are basically saying that we are an anti-Muslim hate group,” the leader of ACT for America explained. “And then, of course, the Miami Herald put it out and within a couple hours we got an email on a Saturday morning from the Trump organization saying we are cancelling the event.”
In fact, the Trump Organization – not to be confused with the Trump Campaign or administration – said, "This event will absolutely not be taking place at Mar-a-Lago."
Gabriel indicated that lawyers at the resort simply panicked.
“Of all organizations, the Trump Organization … should understand what it's like … for people to accuse an innocent person by calling them names,” she argued.
Gabriel is very clear that she does not blame the president for the cancellation and that the still supports him.