We put messages before our students all the time expecting it to make a difference. Now, one pro-family organization is wanting to add another one that listeners are all familiar with.
In the ongoing discussion about gun control in the aftermath of the shootings in Florida, the American Family Association (AFA) says heart control should be at the forefront.
"The sixth commandment is 'you shall not murder,'" notes AFA President Tim Wildmon. "We think that needs to be put on schools, on the marquees, on the front signs of every school in America: You Shall Not Murder."
AFA is asking schools to do this for one week.
"We put messages before our students all the time expecting it to make a difference -- like 'you shouldn't bully,' or 'say no to drugs,' or 'don't text and drive,'" Wildmon continues. "Well, let's also include 'you shall not murder.'"
Ways for supporters to take action include:
- Adding your name to the ministry’s "Open Letter to America's Schools"
- Contacting your local school administrators and ask them to post, "You shall not murder" on the school marque for one week
- Sharing this alert via Twitter and Facebook. (Be sure to use Twitter hashtag #Number6)
- Tweeting a picture of your school sign using Twitter hashtag #Number6
- Praying for the families of victims of school violence
"Send that open letter to the schools, to everybody you know, and let's get thousands of schools across American to join in in this campaign," Wildmon implores.
Editor's Note: The American Family Association is the parent organization of the American Family News Network, which operates OneNewsNow.com.