White House denies report of National Guard being used for roundup of illegals

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (February 17, 2017) - The Associated Press claims it has a memo which says the Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up illegals.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the AP report was "100 percent not true" and "irresponsible." ''There is no effort at all to utilize the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants," he said.

The AP claims the 11-page document comes from the White House and allegedly calls for the militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.

Four states that border on Mexico are included in the proposal — California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas — but it also encompasses seven states contiguous to those four — Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

Governors in the 11 states would have a choice whether to have their guard troops participate, according to the memo, written by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, a retired four-star Marine general.

While National Guard personnel have been used to assist with immigration-related missions on the U.S.-Mexico border before, they have never been used as broadly or as far north.

The proposal would extend the federal-local partnership program that President Barack Obama's administration began scaling back in 2012 to address complaints that it promoted racial profiling.

The 287(g) program, which Trump included in his immigration executive order, gives local police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers the authority to assist in the detection of immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally as a regular part of their law enforcement duties on the streets and in jails.

The draft memo also mentions other items included in Trump's executive order, including the hiring of an additional 5,000 border agents, which needs financing from Congress, and his campaign promise to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

The signed order contained no mention of the possible use of state National Guard troops.

 

 

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWSBRIEF

SUBSCRIBE

VOTE IN OUR POLL

What's your reaction to America's renewed 'ironclad support' of Israel at the U.N.?

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

Syria opposition on same tack as US on terrorism, Iran
Israel military fire tear gas to disperse Lebanese protest
Suspect dead, 2 Florida officers wounded in shootout
Afghan official: IS militants kill 11 in mosque ambush
Iraqi forces advance in Mosul, strike ISIS inside Syria
Judge won't throw out Bergdahl case over Trump comments
Transgender boy wins first 2 matches of girls tournament
Arkansas moves to resume executions, but state lacks drug

LATEST FROM THE WEB

As party rebuilds, Democrats seek a new DNC leader
Man suspected in Amber Alert had been previously deported, immigration officials say
White House pushes back against DHS report on travel ban
Hundreds of Christians flee Egypt's North Sinai amid ISIS killing spree
Trump amps up war on 'fake news,' says reporters shouldn't use unnamed sources

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day

REASON & COMPANY

NEXT STORY
Syria opposition on same tack as US on terrorism, Iran

GENEVA (February 25, 2017) - A top Syrian opposition leader hopes to persuade the new administration of U.S. President Donald Trump that rebels fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad share the same priorities with Washington when it comes to fighting the Islamic State group and containing Iran.