Esper defends shifting defense funds for border wall

Associated Press

MUNICH, Germany (February 14, 2020) — U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Friday defended his decision to divert billions of dollars in Defense Department funding to help pay for completion of the nation's southern border wall.

Esper was asked by a reporter about criticism from some Democrats and Republicans in Congress who claim the diversion of funds is contrary to the constitutional authority of Congress.

“Border security is national security,” Esper said, “and national security is our mission.”

He added, “The action we took is legal under the law, and so it should be no surprise, and I'll just leave it at that for now.”

Esper spoke on the sidelines of an international security conference in Munich.

The Pentagon announced on Thursday that Esper approved shifting $3.8 billion in funds that Congress had previously authorized for F-35 fighter aircraft and other military programs. The money is being diverted to help the Department of Homeland Security build portions of the border wall. The Pentagon indicated that more such actions could be coming to provide additional funding for the project.

 

Comments

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

FEATURED PODCAST

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWSBRIEF

SUBSCRIBE

VOTE IN OUR POLL

When you hear the term 'moderate Democrat,' what comes to mind?

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

Security adviser: I’ve seen no intel of Moscow helping Trump
Sanders wins Nevada caucuses, takes national Democratic lead
DEA agent accused of conspiring with cartel
US leads training exercises in Africa amid focus on Sahel
Bloomberg : 3 women can be released on non-disclosure deals
At Trump’s India rally, Modi bets on bolstering his image
Sanders condemns Russian influence in election

LATEST FROM THE WEB

Philip Haney, DHS whistleblower, found dead, police say
Biden after Nevada: 'We're alive, we're coming back'
Bernie Sanders riled by reports Moscow has meddled in election to aid his campaign
Untraceable coronavirus clusters emerge, worrying health officials
Trump accuses 'crazy' Dems of 'disinformation,' predicts Nevada caucus problems during Vegas rally

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day
NEXT STORY
Security adviser: I’ve seen no intel of Moscow helping Trump

WASHINGTON (February 22, 2020) — President Donald Trump’s national security adviser said he’s seen no intelligence indicating that Russia is doing anything to try to help get the president re-elected.