Supreme Court allows NY to obtain Trump's tax records

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (February 22, 2021) — In a significant defeat for former President Donald Trump, the Supreme Court on Monday declined to step in to halt the turnover of his tax records to a New York prosecutor.

The court's action is the apparent culmination of a lengthy legal battle that had already reached the high court once before.

Trump's tax records are not supposed to become public as part of prosecutor's criminal investigation, but the high court's action is a blow to Trump because he has fought on many fronts to keep his tax records shielded from view. The ongoing investigation the records are part of could also become an issue for Trump in his life after the presidency. Trump has called it "a fishing expedition" and "a continuation of the witch hunt — the greatest witch hunt in history."

The Supreme Court waited months to act in the case. The last of the written briefs in the case was filed Oct. 19. But a court waited through the election, Trump's challenge to his defeat and a month after Trump left office before issuing its order.

The court offered no explanation for the delay, and the legal issue before the justices did not involve whether Trump was due any special deference because he was president.

The court's order is a win for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who has been seeking Trump's tax records since 2019 as part of an investigation. Vance, a Democrat, had subpoenaed the records from the Mazars accounting firm that has long done work for Trump and his businesses. Mazars has said it would comply with the subpoena, but Trump, a Republican, sued to block the records' release.

Vance's office had said it would be free to enforce the subpoena and obtain the records in the event the Supreme Court declined to step in and halt the records' turnover, but it was unclear when that might happen.

The case the high court ruled in involves a grand jury subpoena for more than eight years of Trump's personal and corporate tax records. Vance has disclosed little about what prompted him to request the records. In one court filing last year, however, prosecutors said they were justified in demanding the records because of public reports of "possibly extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organization."

Comments

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWS BRIEF

FEATURED PODCAST

VOTE IN OUR POLL

The most likely motivation behind a typical ‘Cancel Culture’ activist is…

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

  Reports: NY officials altered count of nursing home deaths
By slimmest of margins, Senate takes up $1.9T relief bill
Mississippi gov will sign bill limiting transgender athletes
Alabama governor says mask order ends next month
  Little damage from huge Pacific quake; tsunami threat passes

LATEST FROM THE WEB

Jan. 6 was 'domestic terrorism'? Not even close. The left is exploiting what happened to demonize and cancel the populist right
3 problems at the core of our obsession with 'hate' labeling
13 woke corporations fighting back against Texas mask mandate repeal
Baltimore HS student fails all but 3 classes over 4 years, ranks near top half of class
Tucker Carlson: The occupation of Washington and liberals' deepest fear

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day
NEXT STORY
Reports: NY officials altered count of nursing home deaths

NEW YORK (March 5, 2021) — Top aides to Gov. Andrew Cuomo altered a state Health Department report to obscure the true number of people killed by COVID-19 in the state's nursing homes, The Wall Street Journal and the New York Times reported late Thursday.