Obama judge blocks Arkansas trans youth treatment ban

Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (July 21, 2021) — A federal judge on Wednesday temporarily blocked enforcement of Arkansas' ban on gender confirming treatments for transgender youth while a lawsuit challenging the prohibition proceeds.

Dean

"We knew this decision would be appealed regardless of how the court ruled, and we are confident the Eighth Circuit [Court of Appeals] will uphold the law and children will be protected. We need these bans and restrictions to protect children from experimental sex-reassignment surgeries, puberty blockers, and cross-sex hormones."

"Children should not be subjected to sex-reassignment procedures. Researchers do not know the long-term effects that puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones can have on children – and that is why many experts agree that giving puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to children is experimental at best. Judge Moody's decision fails to protect the children of Arkansas."

Charisse Dean
Family Council
(
in an interview with One News Now)

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit in May asking U.S. District Judge Jay Moody in Little Rock to strike down the law that made Arkansas the first state to forbid doctors from providing gender confirming hormone treatment, puberty blockers or sex reassignment surgery to anyone under 18 years old, or from referring them to other providers for such treatment. The ACLU sought the preliminary injunction while its lawsuit proceeded.

Moody, who was appointed by former President Barack Obama, found that the plaintiffs were likely to succeed with their challenge and that allowing it to be enforced would hurt transgender youth currently receiving the treatments.

“To pull this care midstream from these patients, or minors, would cause irreparable harm,” Moody said.

The law had been set to take effect July 28.

The ACLU filed the lawsuit on behalf of four transgender youths and their families, as well as two doctors who provide gender confirming treatments. The lawsuit argues that the prohibition would severely harm transgender youth in the state and violate their constitutional rights.

Arkansas' Republican-dominated Legislature overrode GOP Gov. Asa Hutchinson's veto of the measure. Hutchinson vetoed the ban following pleas from pediatricians, social workers and the parents of transgender youths who said it would harm a community already at risk for depression and suicide.

Attorney General Leslie Rutledge, a Republican, said she planned to appeal the decision.

“I will aggressively defend Arkansas’s law, which strongly limits permanent, life-altering sex changes to adolescents," Rutledge said. “I will not sit idly by while radical groups such as the ACLU use our children as pawns for their own social agenda."

Moody issued the ruling shortly after hearing arguments from the law's opponents and the state for about an hour and a half.

The judge appeared skeptical of the state's argument that the ban was targeting the procedure, not transgender people. For example, he questioned why a minor born as a male should be allowed to receive testosterone but not one who was born female

“How do you justify giving that to one sex but not the other and not call that sex discrimination?" Moody asked.

Arkansas argued that the state has a legitimate interest in banning the procedures for minors. Republican attorneys general from 17 states asked Moody to uphold the ban.

 

Comments

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWS BRIEF

FEATURED PODCAST

VOTE IN OUR POLL

The war-ready condition of the U.S. armed forces is…

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

  Death toll jumps to more than 300 in recent China flooding
Still waiting, Senate grinds away on $1T infrastructure bill
Police: 10 shot in Queens by 2 men who fled on mopeds
Evacuations lifted as progress made against western fires
Israeli premier blames Iran for tanker attack; Tehran denies

LATEST FROM THE WEB

'Abysmal' comment by potential 2024 GOP presidential hopeful disgusts conservatives
Big Tech and its role in thrown elections
'Delta alarmism' may keep some schools closed
Woo-hoo! There’s now another way to push back against mask mandates
The left is desperate for COVID restrictions to continue

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day
NEXT STORY
Death toll jumps to more than 300 in recent China flooding

BEIJING (August 2, 2021) — More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll.